Geroge Orwell

We sleep safe in our beds at because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Friday, December 14, 2007

DISHEARTENING



A sad experience happened to me yesterday and it's been bothering me every since. Actually in reality it has been coming on for a long time. Not years mind you but at least for the last several years. I would imagine this subject will be written and talked about many times in the next several days however, to me this year it has really hit home. Why? I think I know but I am really not sure so I will not discuss my personal feeling's, only my observations. It's Christmas, a Joyous time of the year, people say.

I work for a government agency and have been a government employee long enough to pull the plug shortly. Now the people in my office where I work in my little cubicle give the impression of religious righteousness. I am certain in their hearts and minds they are. I certainly believed I was, until today. The first office birthday party I attend started with a prayer. My goodness in a government office I thought! Emails of "Praise the Lord" and Thank G-d, and you are in my prayers are quite familiar. One employee is even a ordained minister. Christmas cards abound! Wow you say, this sounds like a great place to work, very meaningful and thoughtful co-workers. This IS the perfect place to work. Therein lies the problem. It's NOT.

As I was hanging up the 15th Christmas card I had received from my co-workers I noticed only one front of the cards had a religious theme. This struck me and I looked and read the inside of each of the 15 cards. Thirteen of the cards did not mention the true reason for Christmas, one mentioned "being blessed" and one, sadly to say only, one reported the GOOD NEWS, the birth of the baby Jesus. Only one! The real and true reason for the Christ Mass. The birth of the Son of G-d, Jesus Christ, the one who died for us. So sad I mumbled to myself. As I drove home, it was dark, I began to look for Nativity displays. I didn't count because it became apparent quite quickly, many more Santa displays in the front yard than the baby Jesus.

I am not here to criticize anyone. I am only pointing out "The reason for the season" has not been highjacked by the big retail corporations. Many of us, myself included, have willingly let it be gently pulled from our grasp by our willingness to spend more, shop on the Sabbath, outdo last years giving and be certain no one is left out. Have we become Teflon believers? Are we willing to take back control of the most significant event of Christendom. I am. Are you?


.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger