Geroge Orwell

We sleep safe in our beds at because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The War to End All Wars

"December 7,1941 a date which will live in Infamy", so spoke President Franklin D. Roosevelt. This was his statement as he asked Congress for a Declaration of War. On this date the Nation of Japan launched an unprovoked attack on the United States at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. War was all ready being waged in Europe with Germany laying claim to Poland, France and Belgium. The next great prize would be Great Britain. Thus began the World War II.

In this attack, early on Sunday morning while families were preparing to go to church. While many were thinking of the upcoming holidays and many servicemen and women relaxed in the sun and the surf. The Japanese left in the wake most of America's Pacific sea force in shambles. Battleships, cruisers, destroyers and tenders were damaged or completely destroyed. Approximately 2400 brave young service men and women died. Nearly 2000 of these brave soles continue to lie entombed in the Battleship Arizona after 67 years. A memorial to all those who died that day.

Myself, I wasn't alive when the attack took place. I wasn't alive when the war ended but, I heard about it. I read about it in my American History books in Jr. High and Senior High School. Although my father was a WWII veteran and actually fought in the Philippines he never said a word about December 7th or what he did during the war. I do know my mother said he had horrible nightmares when he returned home after the war was over. This was also a problem with my uncle according to my mother. Nightmares and no talk. I ask myself,does this sound familiar? PTSD? I wonder.

I posted previously about how many of our WWII veterans we are loosing every day. This is sad of course. I wonder what our children in the Jr High Schools and Senior High Schools today. Is some teacher showing pictures of the destruction and devastation caused by this murderous attack. Are the teachers explaining it was necessary for the United States to take action after this attack. Are they relating it to the unprovoked attack on 9/11//2001 where 3000 plus, many Americans were murdered.

The sailors and airmen fought back on that December 7th with what ever they could get their hands on. The New York City Police and Firefighters fought back with what ever they could get their hands on. Now we have brave young men and women fighting aggressors again. This time in the mountains of Afghanistan and the cities and villages of Iraq. The United States has a habit of providing the world with safety and security. There is very little difference between our soldiers and sailors of 1941 and 2008. They have families of wives, husbands,sisters and brothers, moms and dads.

Our young soldiers of today are here and often in the news or in the mall. We see them, tell them thanks, send them cookies and cards at Christmas. Our veterans of Pearl Harbor are few and far between. Yes, you might see a few TV announcements or the famous movie "Pearl Harbor".

If you know a WWII veteran regardless whether he is a Pearl Harbor survivor call him and tell him thanks of his service. Let them know you care and you will never forget what his sacrifice means to you. On a personal side I will be calling Uncle Bob who is 85 years now. We most likely won't talk about the War but we will talk and I will tell him thanks. He will chuckle and change the subject and we will talk some more. I will visit with my father at his resting place not far from my home. We will talk also and I will tell him thanks, for more than just fighting for my freedom. They I will leave. Don't let these important heroes or their deeds go unrecognized!

3 comments:

MightyMom said...

great post!

Unknown said...

pops...excellent post!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Airborne dad said...

My neighbor down the street is a Pearl Harbor survivor. Every morning, he's out early, raises the flag and gives it a snappy salute. Then he goes on his morning walk with a trash bag picking up whatever he finds. In the evening, another salute and the flag comes down. He hasn't forgotten, nor will we.

Powered By Blogger