Geroge Orwell

We sleep safe in our beds at because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Ups and Downs of a Military Parent

The text msg read; Leaving Fayville now. That was at 2030 hours Thursday night. We had waited all week to see if Jacob's 3 Day pass would be approved. I found out at 3:30PM Thursday afternoon with the first text msg. At that time no departure time was discussed. I, like the dummy I am assumed he would get up early in the morning and drive in Friday. WRONG!

The ups and downs. UPPER Great he's on his way. I will see my son in a short approximately 8 hours. Hoooorahhh!.........Let's see it's 2030 hours, translated to civilian time 8:30AM, plus 8 hours means he will get here about.....oh my....4:30AM. Let's see, again. he gets up at....0430hours drives 8 hours gets here at 4:30AM that's 24 hours without sleep. The next to last part is through West Virginia and the West Virginia Turnpike. Great, up-down-around a curve, up then a curve, down, at night time. Horse manure! DOWNER

Ok, think this through. UPPER If he gets here at 4:30AM you will have 20 minutes to visit, go to work while he sleeps and be home by noon. Then you can go to dinner and visit over some decent chow and a brewsky and ice tea (
for me). Both can get to bed early, he can sleep in, you can go to work and be home and go from there.

DOWNER, I couldn't get to sleep at my normal time 9:30PM. Last time I looked at the clock it was 12:10AM. I had been tossing and turning and worrying about Jacob driving by himself and especially through the mountains. At 3:50AM I'M awake. The alarm hasn't gone of and I feel like I haven't slept all night. UPPER Shower, shave, coffee, reading the Internet news and Jacob walks through the kitchen door. DOWNER, It's 5:00AM and I'm late for work 'cause we been talking and I haven't paid attention to the time.

Home at 1:00PM. Jacob's asleep on the couch. He wakes up and says he couldn't get to sleep because he was too tired. Been there, done that, and own the T-shirt. UPPER Finally we get ourselves together and go to BW 3's for dinner. After watching NASCAR qualifying at BW3'S we go home. DOWNER We have a few left over items to discuss about ABNMOMMA which leads to other issues about me and what will happen when my time comes. The next thing I know it's midnight. He's going to watch TV I am going to bed. We have made plans to meet up with my ex-partner at the county and his father to go paint balling on Saturday. This a concern for me as:
A. I'm 61 years old and Steve's dad is only 51. Jacob and Steve are in their 20's
B. Jacob's unit was part of President Bush's surge force and he has earned his CAB. Both indicate he has been involved in some not so nice times. How will he react.

DOWNER Paint ball didn't go over well on a couple of counts. Jacob did pretty well but said it gave him some chills. The old man tripped over a tree root, fell smack on his kisser and someway hurt hurt his foot to the point it's very tender to walk on.
UPPER Sunday morning we both get up about the same time, drink about 2 pots of coffee and eat some stale donuts. I can hear ABNMOMMA groaning and then smiling saying something like that's my boys. DOWNER We finally decide it's time for him to head by to Fayville. We pack the car with a few things and Michael's leftover clothes, 10 pounds of hamburger I got from Wally World, final goodbye and he off to pick up Michael at his other grandparents.

Text; 1:30PM south bound on 33
Text 2;56PM West Virginia
Text 4:47PM Beckly (West Virginia)
Text 7:30PM Nc
Text 9:59PM Made it.

Now as we have said so often, we deal with it. Phone calls and text msgs are nice but there is nothing like a hug from your soldier!



Airborne dad said...


Re: your last line. You got that right. Glad Jacob could make it up north.

Becky said...

Thanks for your comment and thoughts on my blog. I appreciate it.

So glad you were able to spend some time w/Jacob.

ABNPOPPA said...

'dad, Thanks for stopping by. How's the new civilian doing? Saw you had a little rain the other day, Thursday I believe. Yes, it was wonderful to have him home if only for the weekend.


Hey, Becky. I really do like your blog. I wish I was talented enough to build them like that. I best stay with the basics. Keep me posted on your soldier.


kbug said...

Love the minute by minute account...been there and done that so many times. Seth's drive to Fort Hood is only 2 1/2 hours, but they have to call to let me know they made it...every time. When Kevin was based in Shreveport, it was a 3-hour drive, but he was a good boy and called when he got home. However, when he was based in New Mexico, it was a good 7-hour drive, and he almost always drove it in the middle of the night...through west Texas on those dark country roads. We had a deal...he would call one of us and talk while he drove, if he got tired on the way. I think he mostly called because he was bored, but I spent many a night sitting up into the wee hours of the morning talking to him on the phone, listening to his narrative about what he was passing along the way. I wouldn't trade those times for anything..... :)

ABNPOPPA said...


Like you I have sat up waiting on a call just to talk him through a rough spot on the 8 hour journey. I can't really throw to many stones as when I was stationed at Fort Gordon, Ga. I would leave on a Thursday evening after formation and with 3 day pass in hand head for Ohio. I am certain I gave my parents a few grey hairs when I would roll in in the wee hours of the morning. Then again, that's what we do as children and that's why we worry as parents.

Good to hear from you.


Jungle Mom said...

A lovely telling. God bless you both!